So I sit down this morning and look through my inbox to see what is going on. Today I find email after email all saying similar things:
- “Last day to sign up for my course!”
- “Running out of space for our webinar. Sign up today!”
- “Last day my book will be available before it is being pulled off the shelves”
- “We closed out doors to our enrolment to my best selling _______. But decided for those who missed it to open it up for 24 more hours”
- “Last day for the bonus’ for my book”
- “After today this course will not be available publicly until 2017”
These are all people offering books, courses etc in our Christian world. Is it just me or are we trying way too hard to scare people into buying our stuff? If I am car shopping and the salesperson says “The sale is only on today” they I say “well I better go then because I am not ready to buy today“. Guess what? They never let you leave. They say will there will be another sale or the promotion can be continued etc. There is always a sale, discount or promotion. I don’t mind the sale. I am getting tired of the scare tactics to get me to buy something.
- Why would anyone take their book off the market? You spent years writing a book. Are you really going to stop selling it?
- If you have a book and I miss out on the “bonus material” I begin to question if your book is still worth buying. If the content of your bonus material is so amazing why is it not in your book? What am I missing out on?
- I get that someone might have an online course and there has to be a cut off date for it. Please don’t make it sound like you will not be offering that course ever again.
- For the email today that said that the course will not be offered publicly again until 2017. 2017 is about 2 weeks away. So if I don’t buy into your product today I might have to wait 2 weeks to get it?
- For the webinar that is running out of space. The email said you have 12,000 people signed up. 12,000 people. If your webinar platform can handle 12,000 people please don’t tell me you are running out of space. Pretty sure that is not true.
Can I just challenge authors, creators of products and leaders: Sell your stuff.
I buy your books, courses, products etc. But can you please stop threatening me with not letting me buy your stuff unless I buy it today.
Am I alone in this. Love to hear your thoughts.
Back to my emails.