Brett Ullman | May 7, 2020 | 0
Dating Bill of Rights and Responsibilities – Thoughts?
I am working on creating a dating bill of rights and responsibilities. I have taken the first run at this and thought I would post and see if people can give me some thoughts. What am I missing? Anything that needs to be deleted? My goal is to make this into a printable PDF for new dating couples to sign as they begin to date.
At the beginning of a new relationship, I think it is really important to outline what is expected from both parties in that dating relationship. It outlines not only what are your rights in dating but what are also your responsibilities in a dating relationship as well.
In this dating relationship, I have the right to:
- Leave this relationship at any time. I have the right to not be guilted to stay or threatened to stay in a relationship that I want to leave
- Not be physically abused in any way, shape or form
- Not be emotionally abused. I have the right not to be verbally abused by someone whom I am dating. Words like stupid, worthless, ugly, fat and others will not be tolerated
- I have the right to set sexual boundaries of the beginning of the relationship and I expect these boundaries to be respected.
- I have the right to never be coerced, threatened, or forced to do anything sexually that I do not want to do
- I have the right not have my dating partner act jealous or possessive
- I have the right to not be stopped from seeing family and other friends
- I have the right to always be treated with the deepest respect in this relationship
- I have the right to be in a healthy, encouraging, supportive dating relationship
- I have the right to be treated as an equal in this relationship
- I have the right not to be cheated on
In this dating relationship I:
- Pledge to not stay in this dating relationship when I know it will not be moving forward
- Control my own anger and frustrations and never physically abuse the person I am dating
- I pledge to work hard to control any negative talk that comes out of my mouth especially words that can hurt the person I am dating
- Will set out sexual boundaries at the beginning of the relationship and I would work hard at not putting my the person I am dating in situations which might make these boundaries be tested
- I will never coerce, threaten or force the person I am dating to go anywhere, wear anything, do anything that they do not choose to do
- Will work hard to not make my partner jealous by what I am doing
- Will have a balanced life seeing both the person I am dating as well as family and friends. I will not isolate myself only being with the person I am dating
- I will treat the person I am dating with the utmost respect.
- I will work hard at creating an atmosphere that is healthy, encouraging and supportive
- I will always treat my dating partner as an equal
- I will put boundaries in my life so that I will not fall to the temptation of cheating on my dating partner. If I decide to be with someone else I will break up before moving forward with another relationship
- I pledge to get counsel from my family, friends, teachers, pastors and other people giving me leadership in my life to work on all aspects of my emotional, physical, and spiritual well being
- Accept responsibility for my own actions. If I hurt the person I am dating in any way I will look at seeking forgiveness and healing that rift I make have caused. If needed I will seek counselling to get help to be a better person.
Thanks for any thoughts