Emotion Coaching: The Heart of Parenting – Online Course: Gottman
This is an online course that I suggest all parents go through. Click here for a direct link to the Gottman Website
From the Gottman website here is information on the course below.
Emotion Coaching: The Heart of Parenting presents a 5-step method that builds emotional intelligence and creates positive, long lasting effects for children from toddler to teens. Easy to learn, and used by parents, educators and care-givers, it supports kids through life’s ups and downs in a way that builds confidence and helps them grow socially, emotionally and intellectually.
Researchers have found that even more than IQ, your emotional awareness and ability to handle feelings will determine your success and happiness in all walks of life. Acclaimed researchers and therapists Drs. John and Julie Gottman present this proven program to show you how to be there for your child when it really counts.
- Learn the best ways to respond when your child is sad, angry, or scared-
- Discover how to use emotions as opportunities for connection and teaching
- Learn how to set clear, consistent limits while helping your child problem-solve
What will I learn?
With a simple 5-step method, parents, educators, and caregivers will learn how to Emotion Coach children. By increasing emotional awareness and communication skills, this program improves your emotional responsiveness and, in turn, creates emotionally intelligent children. After completing the program you’ll have a good understanding of what emotional intelligence is, why it’s important, and how to use the 5 key steps to help establish a solid emotional foundation for your child. In addition, you will learn:
- Understand the importance of Emotional Intelligence
- Learn how to recognize, respond to, and validate what your child is feeling
- Learn how to be an effective Emotion Coach using the Five Steps of Emotion Coaching with kids of any age
- Discover ways to express understanding and empathy
- Learn how to set limits and problem solve with children