As many of you know I have been on a journey with mental health over the past 7 years. I have shared this both online and in my talks and am thankful for the prayers and other support during this time. About 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and have started a new road on this journey. We have shared with a few people and I am starting to get messages, emails, and texts about this so I thought I would do a post and share information with all of you. Let me do a Q and A below to answer the questions I am currently getting.
- What is Lyme Disease? You can find a good description of Lyme Disease here – https://canlyme.com/lyme-basics/
- Do you remember being bitten by a Tick? I have no memory of ever being bitten by a tick, or having the common circle rash that comes after being bitten.
- Is this the root of all of your mental health struggles? This is a great question and one currently I do not have an answer to. I don’t know if this is something new or if Lyme is the root of my 7-year journey. I will know more as treatment progresses.
- Have you started treatment? I actually started treatment a few hours before I began writing this blog post. I have a US Lyme Doctor, a Canadian Doctor, Naturopath, and a Psychologist who are my “team” for the next little while. Treatment, as far as I know right now, is a combination of antibiotics, other medications as needed, vitamins and supplements along with special diet, exercise and rest.
- Will this affect your speaking? No, this will not affect my speaking. This is one of the main reasons I also wanted to write this blog. I don’t want people who are interested in having me in to speak not book me thinking I am not able to. My speaking schedule will continue as is. I am fortunate in my job as a speaker that the majority of my time is spent in my home office writing, researching, building talks, etc. The 2-3 times a week that I have to go and speak I will be fine during this treatment plan. Booking me to speak will actually take away some of the financial stress knowing that I have upcoming speaking engagements. I will make sure I have lots of downtime in between speaking dates to make sure I am taking care of myself.
- How can I help? If you are a praying person, please keep me in your prayers. I have been told that this will be a long journey toward recovery.
- How can I make a donation to help with costs? I have had some people this week ask me if they can help by making a financial donation as they know a lot of my treatment will not be covered. If you are interested in this, please make your donation to Worlds Apart (https://www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/15850) which is the charity that I am Director of. Just choose the fund “Brett Ullman” while making your donation. I really appreciate any support.
Thanks for taking the time to read this quick update.