If our goal is to be the best parents we can be we really need to know how we are actually doing. I am hoping to design a “report card” that we can give to our middle school & high school age children. The goal would be that we can see some areas we need to work harder on in our parenting. There would have to be at least a basic level of trust and openness in a home for a report card like this to be able to be given. I have a few questions I have put down below. Love to hear what other questions you think should be asked.
There would be 3 options for answers:
Always – doing well
Seldom – needs some improvement
Never – time for some serious change
- Has told me they love me in the past week
- Show me that I am a priority in their lives by spending time with me
- Knows and takes interest about my friends, my teachers, my life
- Is always willing to sit down and listen to whatever I have to talk about
- Is always trying to be a better parent to me
- Looks me in the eye when having conversations with me and is not staring at their computer or phone
- Is modeling good healthy eating strategies to me
- Is modeling good sleep habits for me
- Gives me clear expectations of things I need to do around the home (chores, garbage, walk dog etc)
- Give me advice on important issues in life (drugs, alcohol, pornography, sex, dating, etc)
- Has fun with by going for a walk, bike ride, out to dinner, movies etc.
If you are a student or a parent I would love to hear what you think needs to be changed.