This is a really good article for anyone who works with students in the church world. I have often said that a Jr/Sr High Pastors job needs to be educating and empowering parents as well. As a parent myself I had to take a second and try and figure out if I am one of the parenting styles he mentions:
- Helicopter Parents– they hover too close to the kids at all times.
- Karaoke Parents– they try too hard to be cool, often parroting back what their kids do, say, and wear.
- Dry-Cleaner Parents– drop their kids off for others to raise.
- Volcano Parents– erupt over minor issues. (If you’ve never witnessed this just spend more time at Wal-Mart. You’re bound to encounter these parents.)
- Dropout Parents– these parents have just quit on their kids.
- Bullied Parents– can’t stand up to their kids.
- Groupie Parents– treat their kids like rock stars.
- Commando Parents – let rules trump relationships.
There are some good practical ways to engage the parents of the students you work with.
Click here for the entire article.